Printer Friendly Copy of the TYSL BYLAWS
Revised April 10, 2008
ARTICLE I: NAME
The name of the league shall be the Troy Youth Soccer League, Inc. (also referred to as “TYSL” or “the League”).
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE
The purpose of this League shall be to provide an opportunity for the youth of the City of Troy to learn, develop and play amateur soccer for the betterment of their physical and social well-being. To this end, the League shall do any and all acts in the furtherance of the foregoing purpose.
ARTICLE III: COLORS
The representative colors of TYSL shall be Royal Blue, Red and White.
ARTICLE IV: MEMBERSHIP
- The membership of this League shall include all persons who are elected to its board of directors, all coaches, and all players. This group shall be known in total as the “membership” and each individual as a “member”.
- The term of membership for a member shall be for the fiscal year of the League. The fiscal year of the League shall be from November 1 through October 31. The term of membership of persons elected to the board of directors shall be the same as their term of office.
- Players are members only for that portion of the fiscal year that they are registered to play in TYSL.
Section 2: All members agree, as a condition of membership, to abide by these Bylaws and subsequent operating rules, and by the rules and regulations of TYSL.
Section 3: A member may give notice during any annual general membership meeting of the League regarding any issue that affects the Bylaws which the member wishes to have put on the agenda for discussion and vote at the next annual general membership meeting.
ARTICLE V: FUNDING
- The annual general meeting of the membership shall be the October meeting.
- Membership meetings shall be called on the third Thursday of each month unless otherwise designated by the President.
- All League meetings shall be governed by the rules of parliamentary procedure (Roberts Rules of Order).
Section 1: The League shall be incorporated as a non-profit Michigan corporation.
Section 2: The League shall fund itself by accepting contributions from members, participants, sponsors, and interested persons, or other fund raising functions.
Section 3: All contributions received shall be used only to accomplish the League’s purpose.
Section 4: In the event of dissolution, all assets, real and personal, shall be distributed to such organizations as are qualified as tax exempt under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code or the corresponding provisions of a future United States Internal Revenue code.
ARTICLE VI: BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1: Board of Director Composition
The property, activities and affairs of the League will be managed by its Board of Directors. The Board of Directors of this League will consist of the following offices of President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and up to five (5) Directors, one of which shall be Director of Premier Teams.
Section 2: Terms of Office
- The President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and up to five (5) Directors shall be elected at the annual general membership meeting. The President, Secretary and up to two (2) Directors shall be elected during odd numbered years and the Vice-President, Treasurer, Director of Premier Teams, and up to two (2) Directors shall be elected during even numbered years. The newly elected officers shall take office on November 1 of the year of their election.
- The elected Officers and Directors will serve a two (2) year term.
Section 3: Responsibilities/Duties of Office
- The Board of Directors shall have the authority to supervise the affairs and conduct business on behalf of TYSL.
- All members of the Board Directors shall be required to attend both Board of Directors and Membership meetings.
Section 4: Authority of the Board of Directors
The Board of Directors shall operate only within the framework of the Bylaws and subsequent operating rules.
Section 5: Board of Directors meetings
- Directors shall meet once a month, on the second Thursday, unless otherwise specified by the President.
- All meetings shall be governed by Roberts Rules of Order.
- Fifty percent (50%) of the Board positions filled shall constitute a quorum.
Section 6: Voting rights of the Board of Directors:
Each member of the Board of Directors shall have one (1) vote on all matters requiring a vote, with the exception of the President who shall cast a vote only in the event of a tie. Votes shall be decided by a simple majority. A quorum of the board must be present for the vote to be valid.
Section 7: Additional responsibilities of the Board of Directors:
- Purchasing and distribution of patches and trophies.
- Coordinate field use with Parks and Recreation Department.
- Maintain coaches’ seniority records.
- Arrange all League insurance.
- Publicize registration dates.
- Award scholarships.
- Computer, software, peripherals and maintenance that is needed by the League.
Section 8: Recall procedure:
- A petition stating the reasons for recall must be signed by 50% of the voting membership of the League.
- Petition shall be presented to the Board of Directors.
- A regular membership or special meeting shall be held within thirty (30) days of receipt of petition to take action on it.
- A simple majority of votes cast by the membership shall be able to recall a member of the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE VII: TYSL OFFICERS
Section 1: The President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer shall be TYSL Officers.
Section 2: Duties of TYSL Officers
The TYSL Officers shall perform the duties prescribed by these Bylaws and/or the parliamentary authority adopted by TYSL.
ARTICLE VIII: DIRECTORS AND COMMITTEES
- The President shall:
- Be responsible for the overall running of the League.
- Preside at Board and Membership meetings.
- Appoint, with the approval of the Board of Directors, all committee chairpersons and committee members.
- Be an ex-officio member of all committees.
- Before the end of October each year appoint an independent certified public accountant, approved by the Board, to audit TYSL’s books.
- Approve all official press releases.
- The Vice President shall:
- Act as an aide to the President.
- Perform the duties of the President in the absence or inability of the President to serve.
- Be the League’s representative to MSYSA.
- Coordinate tournament information and all team travel outside of the City of Troy.
- The Secretary shall:
- Keep an accurate record of all Board of Directors and Membership meetings.
- Handle league correspondence.
- Give notice of all Board and Membership meetings.
- Maintain League records.
- The Treasurer shall:
- Be bonded.
- Maintain League financial records.
- Provide financial statements at Board of Directors and Membership meetings.
- Issue all League checks (the President and another designated Officer shall be authorized to sign checks, if necessary.)
Section 1: Committee Creation
Unless stated in these Bylaws, the Board of Directors shall create all committees of TYSL. The President with the approval of the Board shall establish composition of each committee.
Section 2: Membership
- Any member of the League may volunteer to be on a Committee and approved by the Board of Directors.
- A Director or an Officer will chair each committee created.
- Membership on a committee shall be for a year and may be renewed by the President.
- The President upon notice and hearing may remove any committee member.
- No committee position or decision may bind the League without the prior approval by the Board of Directors.
Section 3: Directors and Committees:
ARTICLE IX: ELECTIONS AND VOTES
- There may be an Appeals and Protest Committee consisting of at least one person who shall investigate all complaints, grievances, and request for suspension, censure, or expulsion of any player, coach, team for any infraction of the Bylaws or Rules of Play and will recommend the appropriate action to the Board of Directors.
- There may be a Coaches Committee consisting of at least one person who shall meet and encourage the identification and development of coaches and assistant coaches, sponsor coaching programs and investigate and suspend coaches upon notice and hearing and make recommendations to the Board of Directors.
- There may be a Registration Committee consisting of at least one person who shall meet and develop registration forms, publicize and set registration dates, handle registrations, determine player eligibility, investigate and determine registration refunds, distribute registration forms and player pass cards and make recommendations to the Board of Directors.
- There may be an Equipment Committee consisting of at least one person who shall meet and solicit and take bids for equipment, inspect equipment, receive, distribute and collect equipment at the end of each season and make recommendations to the Board of Directors. In addition, the Equipment Committee will prepare and submit to the Board of Directors on an annual basis a complete inventory of equipment owned by the League.
- The Director of Premier Teams shall:
- Be an active coach or manager of a TYSL Premier Team (also referred to as Troy Soccer Club or TSC) ; or, if there is no active TSC Coach/Manager interested in running, be a TSC coach/manager/parent/player in the past and approved by the Board of Directors to run.
- Maintain liaison between the Troy Youth Soccer League Board of Directors and the Troy Soccer Club.
- Promote the positive aspects of TSC’s community-oriented travel and select soccer program.
- Identify mutual opportunities for growth among the TYSL house/recreational players and coaches and the TSC travel and select soccer programs.
- The Board of Directors may create additional committees. They may be permanent or temporary.
Section 1: Voting Members
Voting members shall be members of the Board of Directors and all registered coaches.
Section 2: Number of Votes
Each voting member shall have only one vote.
Section 3: Election of the Board of Directors
- The present board shall administer the election and make public notification thirty (30) days prior to the date of the election.
- Elections shall be held in the month of October of the current year for offices open as of November 1.
- Any adult member of the membership or any individual approved by the Board of Directors may run for an office. No person may hold or run for more than one position at the same time. If any of the board members remaining in office wishes to run for an open officer position, that Director may run for the vacated office and, if they win, must resign from their previous position. All Board Members shall be volunteers while serving.
- Whenever there is a vacancy in the Board of Directors by reason of death, removal, resignation or otherwise, a majority of the Directors’ then in office may fill the vacancy at any meeting, and the person shall be a Director until their successor is elected at the appropriate annual meeting. The resignation of a Director shall be effective upon receipt of the League or at a subsequent time set forth in the notice of resignation.
- Any member wishing to run for a Board of Director position must submit their name and resume to the Secretary at least thirty (30) days prior to the scheduled election in order to be considered for placement on the official ballot.
- Ballots will be discarded after the election tally is made and a winner is announced.
Section 4: Voting Process
- A member may submit a vote by:
- Secret ballot at a membership meeting.
- Absentee ballot, provided that the ballot is obtained at the TYSL offices three (3) days prior to the date of the announced vote.
- E-mail correspondence, provided that the vote is obtained by the Secretary, or other designated TYSL official, from the registered email account of the member and the vote is received three (3) days prior to the date of the announced vote.
- If multiple votes are received from a member, none of the votes will be counted.
Section 5: Decision of Election
Unless indicated otherwise in the Bylaws, any election will be decided by a simple majority of votes cast by the membership. All election related ballots and e-mails will be destroyed by a vote of the Board of Directors immediately following the election.
ARTICLE X: AMENDMENTS
Section 1: The League membership can amend the Bylaws by a simple majority of votes cast by the membership.
Section 2: These Bylaws may be amended by the Board at any regular meeting of the League provided notice of the proposed amendment vote shall have been submitted at the previous meeting or sent to the membership at least 20 days prior to the voting. The amendment cannot conflict with the regulations in use by the sanctioning bodies.
ARTICLE XI: MISCELLANEOUS
Section 1: If occasions or situations arise that are not fully covered by these Bylaws, the Board of Directors shall have full power to decide such cases.
Section 2: The provisions of these Bylaws are severable. If any provision is held invalid by final judgment of a court and/or sanctioning body, all other provisions shall remain valid.